LUMA CREATIONS presents FIESTA LATINA 2019
An exciting celebration of Latin American Culture
FRIDAY 18 & SATURDAY 19 OCTOBER 2019 at THE ARTS CENTRE, Edge Hill University, Ormskirk.
LUMA CREATIONS presented a vibrant and diverse programme of music, dance, storytelling, crafts and workshops; with performances from Colombia, Chile, Cuba, Brazil, Mexico and Bolivia: FIESTA LATINA will have something for everyone. VIEW VIDEO BY CLICKING ANYWHERE ON THE IMAGE BELOW
Performances from groups such as the mesmerising MESTISA, with their haunting melodies and popular songs from across South America, CALFUN, performing a cross genre fusion of original and traditional songs from the continent. A powerful presentation of Candombe drum and dance as well as the colourful exquisite COLIBRI Mexican Dance Troupe from presenting folklore from across the many regions of Mexico. We will also enjoy the magical CHINCHINERO, a traditional Chilean one man drum band and the exhilarating dance of the Caporales by Bolivian Group, MI VIEJO SAN SIMON.
FIESTA LATINA 2019 will have magical, mystical storytelling from LUMA CREATIONS taking the audience across the Andean mountains and into the tropical rain forests and a performance by Edge Hill University Dance Company Choreaographed by Estibaliz Moure Abad and Francisco Cararsco.
In Addition there will be an exhibition about women activists and artists who have made an impact in Latin American culture as well as talks by Latin Americans about some of the women highlighted in the exhibition.
One of the gems of the weekend will be LA DOCTRINA, a Chilean band that fuses elements of the blues, funk, swing and Latin rhythms. The group was formed in January 2017 by Alonso Farías (guitar & Vocals) after his musical journey covering 38 countries (2015-2016).
FRIDAY 18 OCTOBER
1.30pm LITTLE EARS written by Oscar Carrasco- A Story about a boy who whilst looking for his name found himself – told using puppetry, live music and storytelling (suitable for all the family).
3.00-5.00pm – Three talks about inspirational Latin American Women by three Latin American Women Artists: Freda Kahlo (Mexico), Violeta Parra (Chile) Clementina de Jesus (Brasil).
7.00-10.00pm CONCERT – An evening celebrating Latin America through Live music and dance with the Latin American fusion band CALFUN; exciting dance company from Mexico COLIBRI; and the amazing CHINCHINERO de Londres, John Cuevas (Chile)
There will also be an Exhibition of Inspirational Women from Latin America throughout the weekend.
SATURDAY 19 OCTOBER
11.00am – 6.00pm – A magical day of Live music, dance, workshops, exhibitions, djs, food and crafts bringing together an array of incredible performances:
- MI VIEJO SAN SIMON – Caporales Dance group from Bolivia
- MESTISA – South American Live Music group
- CANDOMBE – Drum & Dance Outfit based in the North West with artists from Peru, Chile, UK and Spain)
- MAGICAL CIRCUS – Irrepressible Circus Clowns with a touch of the Chilean/Bolivian sensibility.
- DJ MUVELO – Costa Rican DJ reknown across the region for his lively persona.
- EL CHINCHINERO – will be back for more fun with our audiences.
- DANCE COLLABORATION: LUMA Creations Artists and Edge Hill University Dance Company will produce a performance that represents a journey across Latin America.
- LA DOCTRINA – Chilean Latin Blues outfit will join us as part of their UK tour.
- LUMA CREATIONs will also deliver a Drum & Dance workshop open to all.
- Workshops – making headdresses and shaker instruments.
- Stalls with crafts, food and more.